The history of the city of
Camaiore laughed them approximately to the 190 a.C. when the Roman,
founded Lucca, decided to build up some fortifications to the
feet of the Prana mount. Maior Campus rose therefore the Lucensis
Colony in the great plain from which drift the Camaiore name.
After the fall of the empire of the West, the territory was subordinate
to innumerevoli barbaric invasions above all conduct from Goti
Lucca resumed the control of
the city with the aid of the Longobardi and, with diffusing itself
of the Christianity, rose the first churches like the Pieve di
S. Maria and S. Stefano. Powerful feudali getlteman embezzled
to the lucchesi the dominion of the city of Camaiore that, around
to 1230, returned to being included between the common ones of
Lucca of which divenne capoluogo in 1308. The city, not sufficiently
protected, had to endure other dominations like that one of the
Pisani and new destructions like that from part of German mercenari
in 1329. Old of Lucca, resumed once again the control of the city,
decided the edificazione of walls, whose construction finished
in 1380. That was not enough from protect the Camaioresi, than,
around to 1440, they fell preda of Francisco Strains and endured
the domination of the Fiorentini. The city returned under Lucca
in 1470 and in 1532 the revolt supplied test of its fidelity sedando
dictates "of the straccioni". In order to celebrate
this Victoria, and for riconoscenza to the camaiorese people,
it was made to erect the Arc Prevails them outside of the Lombricese
Door. However in the 1620 Camaiore lost the title it of capoluogo
of the Vicaria and with it many territories in favor of Viareggio
that, in that period, assumed a greater importance for the traffics
trades them of Lucca. In 1801 for wanting of Napoleone Bonaparte
the new lucchese republic was delivered up.
After it it was napoleonica, Maria Luisa di Borbone governed until
1824. To its dead women subentrò the son Carl Ludovico.
In 1847, the city passed to make part of the Granducato of Tuscany
under Leopoldo II, and in the 1860 there was the plebiscite with
which it was annexed to the baby Reign of Italy.
meant one of the Versilia name
The origin of the name "Versilia"
laughed them to the idronimo
Ves(s)idia (the ancient Wesser/Wasser German = water), from which,
in the high Middle Ages the shape "Versilia" derived
for consonantica dissimilation.
The name to the region
was given mainly from the channel of Ruosina that historically
corresponded to fluvius the Vesidia of the "Tabula Peutingeriana",
which near Seravezza, it is combined with the Riomagno, coming
from from the depositor south of the Highest Mount.
The course of the river was not in ancient the one which we see
currently. It came down from Seravezza, pushed itself in goes
passing little them to the south-west of the situated one where
then rose the city of Pietrasanta, taking in those drawn the name
of "Knows it", from omonimo the overhanging hill; and
it continued for the plain until ending up in the foce of Motrone.
It can therefore be said that its course emphasized in perfect
way the heart of the Versilia.
Feature from Diamondo Scalabrella: "heroic
Life of Guiscardo from Pietrasanta", Tip. Pietrasanta Cooperative,
1964, pag. 72.e Mario Lopes Pegna: "Versilia ignota",
Tuscany Editorial, Florence 1958